Do you think you have what it takes to be an Animal Hero?
We’re on the lookout for Animal Heroes that can join our band of caped-supporters and help raise vital funds and awareness for our rescue shelter!
Hmmmmm, I’m intrigued, tell me more!
Well, as the global pandemic continues, Worcestershire Animal Rescue Shelter are looking for new ways to raise vital funds right now as we face a severe funding shortfall and a very uncertain future.
But it’s not all bad news.
We launched our Emergency Winter Appeal on the 7th December as we looked to try and raise £20,000 to help get through our toughest Winter yet - thankfully, our supporters and the local community have all come to our aid and at the time of writing, we’ve raised over £17,000 already.
Presenting, the WARS Animal Hero Challenge…
I love the video, but I’m still not quite sure how I get to be an Animal Hero.
Fair enough, we couldn’t fit it all into a 2-minute video!
So, why not join us this March & April as we look to raise £10,000 for the Shelter by asking you to choose your very own challenge with a twist.
The focus of our challenge this year is number 189.
Ok, this is getting weirder, why 189 & do I get a cape?
Well, 189 just so happens to be the number of animals that we rehomed in 2020.
In a year that challenged us in so many ways, yet we were able to rescue, rehabilitate and find loving forever homes for 189 cats and dogs - we think that’s pretty special and worth celebrating.
Sadly, we can’t afford to give all of our heroes a cape but we do promise to help promote your challenge via our website and with social media, not to mention lots of tips and encouragement along the way.
I’m sure I can make my own cape! So how can I take part?
This is the best part - you get to choose your own challenge!
All you need to do is think of a challenge using the number 189 as the theme, go to our Animal Hero Challenge JustGiving campaign page, click on ‘Start Fundraising’ and follow the step-by-step instructions…you’ll have your very own fundraising page set up in no time.
Not sure how to set up your own JustGiving fundraising page? Take a look at our handy Setting up Your Own JustGiving Fundraising Page Guide.
Once you’ve got it all set up, why not take a look at our ‘Top 9 Tips for Promoting Your JustGiving Fundraising Page Guide’. After all, you want to be able to raise as much money as possible, don’t you?
Hmmmmm, I’ve got some ideas, but could do with a few more!
Not a problem at all - take a look at our ‘Top Challenge Ideas Guide’, perfect if you’re an individual supporter or a business looking for challenge ideas!
Now, the serious part.
Any fundraising event needs to be fun and enjoyable, but also, it absolutely has to be safe for you and those around you.
We want everyone who takes part in this challenge to have fun and stay safe.
Please read over our ‘Safety Guidance Sheet’ before taking on your challenge.
You know what? I’m in…..I want to be an Animal Hero!
Amazing! We’ve put together 6 easy steps for success to get you started:
Step 1. Choose your challenge and set a timeframe
You’ve decided you’re up for a challenge, you really want that cape, but…..what are you going to do?
- See our suggested ideas above for some inspiration - maybe it’s an exercise challenge, maybe your kids are going to be quiet for a few hours, or maybe your business has a great idea for a team challenge.
Step 2. Read our safety guidance document before you start your challenge
We want you to be as safe as possible whilst supporting WARS, so make sure your activity is safe, that you’re fit and healthy to participate in your chosen challenge and always follow local government guidance around COVID-19.
- Read our safety guidance document before starting your challenge.
Step 3. Set up your online fundraising page
- Creating an online fundraising page through a site like JustGiving is easy to set up and manage, and can be kept up to date on your smartphone as well.
- People can sponsor you with just a few clicks: they can donate from anywhere, at any time, and it only takes a few minutes to do so securely.
- By going online, you can reach more people, like all those friends, family and colleagues you don’t see every day.
- Sites like JustGiving will automatically reclaim Gift Aid from UK taxpayer donations, making donations worth up to 25p more for each £1 at no extra cost to your sponsors, which is extra money for your pot!
- The money you fundraise comes straight to WARS, meaning you don’t have to spend time collecting the money and sending it in – and we can start putting your donations to good use even sooner.
- Your fundraising page can help you stay motivated throughout your event organisation or training – seeing all those messages of support and money rolling in is a great mental boost!
- Simply go to our Animal Hero Challenge JustGiving campaign page and click "Start Fundraising" to set up your personal fundraising page for your virtual challenge - simply follow the steps on-screen and you’ll be set up in no time!
- Alternatively, read our handy guide to setting up your JustGiving fundraising page here.
We’ll be notified and provide you with some guidance and top tips to help you maximise your fundraising.
Step 4. Personalise your page with compelling content
We’ve gathered some insider tips from our contacts at JustGiving to clue you in on how you can make your fundraising page work as hard as possible.
- Add photos to bring your page to life and show your progress. Pages including photos can raise up to 23% more!
- Set a target to inspire you and your supporters to reach it. After all, if you smash through it, you can always set a new one!
- Tell your story so people can see why you’re doing it and what WARS means to you, and encourage them to support you.
Step 5. Spread the word on social media!
Social media is a great way to keep people updated. You can share news about your event, fundraising, training, progress and hitting targets or talk about what WARS means to you – whatever you’re doing, let everyone know.
- Use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to push your fundraising further.
- Share your online fundraising page on social media so it’s super easy for people to donate.
- Don’t forget to use the hashtag #WARSAnimalHeroChallenge
- Ask your friends to spread the word by liking and sharing posts, and retweeting updates.
Step 6. Take part, have fun & stay safe
You’re ready to go, ready to take on your Animal Hero Challenge, and most importantly, you’ve got the measurements ready for that cape…
- Enjoy your challenge, tell everyone about it and make sure you stay safe - every toe bean, waggy tail and human at WARS is supporting you and your fundraising efforts.
We love hearing how everyone is getting on, but you don’t need to prove to us that you have completed the challenge, we trust you.
Any questions? Then just get in touch with the team.
We’re looking forward to becoming Animal Heroes with you!
Don’t want to to take part in a challenge, but want to support WARS?
You can simply make a donation on our Animal Hero Challenge JustGiving campaign page, or why not take a look to see some of the challenges going on and make a donation on one of those pages?
Remember, every donation, no matter how big or small, makes a huge difference to every animal in our care - to us, you’re all Animal Heroes.