Work with us
Do you have a passion for animals and animal welfare?
We are currently looking for a new Kennel and Cattery Team Leader.
Kennel & Cattery Team Leader
Registered Charity, Malvern Salary £16,286pa 40 hours per week, including weekends and bank holidays on a rota basis
Why work for us?
Worcestershire Animal Rescue Shelter in Malvern takes in abandoned, unwanted and mistreated animals in need of urgent care. Our aim is to re-home our animals as quickly and safely as possible to provide them with loving forever homes. In 2017 we rehomed over 220 dogs and cats in addition to over 500 ex-battery hens.
The Shelter, in its own enclosed site and with beautiful views of the Malvern Hills, is managed by a Board of Trustees and run by dedicated staff and volunteers. We have kennels for up to twenty-six dogs and a cattery containing twelve pens with future plans for expansion.
The role of the Kennel & Cattery Team Leader is to oversee the smooth day to day operational running of the Shelter, providing a hands-on approach to caring for our animals and leading the Animal Welfare Assistants and Volunteers in their duties. We are looking for someone who has a real affinity for the care of dogs and cats, with a passion for providing excellent levels of customer service and the ability to inspire others to carry out their daily duties to the highest of standards. The role of Kennel & Cattery Team Leader will include:
- Supporting and leading staff and volunteers to look after the animals in our care, focussing on aspects such as individual animal dietary requirements, veterinary care, exercise and socialisation programmes.
- Regularly monitoring animal care procedures and making recommendations to the Shelter Manager on all aspects of quality of care for both dogs and cats with a pro-active approach to continual improvement.
- Assisting the Shelter Manager in the animal temperament and behavioural assessment process to ensure tests are robust, thorough and practices are fully adhered to.
- Reviewing all animal information on kennels/cat pens and ensuring animal information boards are updated daily.
- Partaking in a daily morning information meeting with the Shelter Manager and team to record observations of animal health and behaviour.
- Allocating daily duties to the team, monitoring progress and undertaking daily checks to assess the cleanliness and hygiene of animal care blocks.
- Being present during the weekly veterinary consult and keeping accurate medical records for each animal, ensuring the Shelter Manager is updated with all aspects of animal health, medication, treatment and possible medical procedures.
- Carrying out all relevant administration duties as required to aid the overall effectiveness of the Shelter, making proactive recommendations for changes to procedures/processes to create effective and efficient work practices.
- Talking to potential adoptees of animals and assisting the Shelter Manager with arranging animal introductions and home visits etc.
- To deputise for the Shelter Manager during their absence.
Skills and experience
- Experience with dogs and cats in a working environment, ideally an animal rehoming charity
- Ability to demonstrate empathy towards all animals in our care and when dealing with sensitive situations
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a team
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Good administrative and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise
- Reliable and trustworthy with a flexible, self-motivated and positive approach towards work
- Demonstrable experience to work as part of a team and under own initiative
- An animal care qualification, NVQ level 2 or equivalent is desirable
- Experience and knowledge of dog behaviour and training would be advantageous Ready to join us?
We are a friendly independent charity with a close-knit team of staff and volunteers. We think there is nothing better than the satisfaction of rehoming a previously unwanted animal to loving new owners.
In addition, we offer:
- 28 days annual leave
- Workplace pension scheme
- Complimentary uniform
- Training and development opportunities
- Unlimited dog and cat cuddles every day!
A full job description can be downloaded here - Kennel and Cattery Team Leader JD
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to Claire Tregunna, Shelter Manager, WARS, Hawthorn Lane, Newlands, Malvern, WR13 5BD or via email to email@example.com. Closing Date: 10th March 2018
We reserve the right depending on application numbers to close or extend the closing dates for positions; we would therefore recommend an early application.