Volunteering at WARS
We are hugely grateful to all our fantastic volunteers who come and help us around the shelter with a whole range of jobs and tasks. Without their time, help and dedication we couldn’t do nearly as much to help the animals in our care.
Our volunteers carry out a range of roles at the shelter, including
- Reception work
- Dog walking
- Cat socialising
- Maintenance and gardening
- Cleaning in the cattery and the kennels.
Our volunteers really do help keep the shelter running and without them we would struggle to carry out our work with the animals that need it.
What do we look for in a volunteer?
- Empathy to our animals and their situation
- Support and understanding in the work we are doing
- Commitment to coming to volunteer, we need people who keep coming back regularly to help us and our animals
- A desire to make a difference and help fulfill the lives of our cats and dogs
"We do not pay volunteers, not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless"
We are open to dog walkers between 10am and 2pm and also 3pm and 4.30pm.
Please note all dog walkers must have been through a Health & Safety induction before they can walk our dogs
We are always on the look out for new and keen volunteers to come and help us at the shelter.
Receptionist - Sunday cover needed
We are looking for someone or a number of individuals to man our reception, greeting visitors to site, answering the phone and emails and talking to the public about our animals
Details on the role can be found here Receptionist Role
If you are interested in applying for this role, please fill out the form below and send to email@example.com Receptionist Application Form
We are looking for someone to help us maintain the cleanliness of the public areas of our site.
Details on the role can be found here Cleaner Role
Kennel & Cattery Assistant
We are in need of volunteers to help us with morning routines in the kennel and in the cattery. To help the staff give the dogs their first walk of the day, feed and help clean the kennels and the cattery. Tea/ coffee supplied.
Details on the role can be found here Kennel and Cattery Role
We are looking for someone who is physically fit and able to help us maintain our shelter site by keeping it neat and tidy.
Details for this role can be found here Gardener Role
Regular dog walkers and cat socialisers
We are always looking for people to come to the shelter on a regular basis to walk our dogs and socialise with our cats.
Details for this role can be found here Dog Walker and Cat Socialiser
We are looking for someone to help us with collecting donations from businesses and individuals in the local area
Details on the role can be found here Driver Role
Can you offer a place in your home to foster a cat or a dog? Either short or long term.
Details on the role can be found here Foster Carer Role
More details on foster caring can be found here Fostering
Fundraising and Events
Can you help our staff, trustees and other volunteers at fundraising events throughout the year? Helping us to bring in much needed funds to help us continue our work.
Details on the role can be found here Fundraising and Events
Help our staff carry out home checks to ensure the home the dogs are going to is suitable and safe.
Details on the role can be found here Home Checker Role
To apply for any of these roles please follow the instructions below.
Thank you to all our amazing volunteers and new volunteers to our team over the past year.
We have recently been inundated with forms for people requesting to volunteer at WARS.Thank you to all who have applied and we will be in touch in due course. We will not be taking any further applications in 2018 however, we will be holding a volunteer recruitment day on Sunday 20th January 2019.
Descriptions for roles which volunteers fill at WARS are all available above.
Work Experience at WARS
We do offer work experience at WARS. We do have quiet a high demand for places at the shelter so we have devised criteria for the work experience places that we are able to offer.
We have an over 18’s policy, whereby only people over the age of 18 are able to work with or walk our dogs
- We are unable to offer work experience to school students of 16 and under.
- Duke of Edinburgh students aged between 15 and 16 years of age - We can offer 1 hour per week (preferably between the hours of 8.30am and 9.30am or 2pm and 3pm on a Saturday or a Sunday, these times are to enable students to help with cleaning and feeding routines. If you wish to come and these times please inform us before hand) Other times students will be able to cat socilaise. DofE students aged between 15 and 16 years of age, will only be able to work with the cats. Please note we are only able to accept accompanied DofE students. We are unable to accept general volunteers under the age of 18 _
- School students and college students on a animal care based course aged between 16 and 17 years of age - We can offer work experience on a single day release per week, with our cats only.
- Over 18’s - We can offer weekly block placements and day release, working with either our cats, dogs or both.
If you would like to come to WARS on a work experience placement please fill out the below form and send it to
Please check you junk file on your email, occasionally our emails go into this file
Please send in a .doc or .docx format as these are easier for us to process. Alternatively please pop your completed form in the post to
Worcestershire Animal Rescue Shelter
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact the shelter on 01905 831651