Volunteering at WARS
We are hugely grateful to all our fantastic volunteers who come and help us around the shelter with a whole range of jobs and tasks. Without their time, help and dedication we couldn’t do nearly as much to help the animals in our care.
Our volunteers carry out a range of roles at the shelter, including:
- Reception work
- Foster carers
- Fundraising & events
- Dog walking
- Cat socialising
- Maintenance and gardening
Volunteers really do help keep the shelter running and without them we would struggle to carry out our work with the animals that need it.
What do we look for in a volunteer?
- Empathy to our animals and their situation
- Support and understanding in the work we are doing
- Commitment to coming to volunteer, we need people who keep coming back regularly to help us and our animals
- A desire to make a difference and help fulfill the lives of our cats and dogs
"We do not pay volunteers, not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless"
We are open to dog walkers between 10am and 4pm.
Please note that all cat socialisers and dog walkers must have been through a Health & Safety induction before they can begin to volunteer with our animals
We have been lucky enough to have been inundated with applications so far this year and have successfully recruited a large number to fill a variety of roles.
Therefore, we are no longer accepting volunteer applications until further notice.
Specific roles will be advertised here, so do please check this page and our social media channels regularly for available roles.
Work Experience at WARS
We do offer work experience at WARS. We do have quiet a high demand for places at the shelter so we have devised criteria for the work experience places that we are able to offer.
We have an over 18’s policy, whereby only people over the age of 18 are able to work with or walk our dogs
- We are unable to offer work experience to school students of 16 and under.
- Duke of Edinburgh students aged between 15 and 16 years of age - We can offer 1 hour per week (preferably between the hours of 8.30am and 9.30am or 2pm and 3pm on a Saturday or a Sunday, these times are to enable students to help with cleaning and feeding routines. If you wish to come and these times please inform us before hand) Other times students will be able to cat socilaise. DofE students aged between 15 and 16 years of age, will only be able to work with the cats. Please note we are only able to accept accompanied DofE students. We are unable to accept general volunteers under the age of 18 _
- School students and college students on a animal care based course aged between 16 and 17 years of age - We can offer work experience on a single day release per week, with our cats only.
- Over 18’s - We can offer weekly block placements and day release, working with either our cats, dogs or both.
If you would like to come to WARS on a work experience placement please fill out the below form and send it to
Please check your junk file on your email, occasionally our emails go into this file
Please send in a .doc or .docx format as these are easier for us to process. Alternatively please pop your completed form in the post to
Worcestershire Animal Rescue Shelter
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact the shelter on 01905 831651